Monday, December 6, 2010

Operation Christmas child



I just love this time of year! I don't enjoy the colder weather, but I do love that it reminds me that Christmas is near! When Thomas and I were married ten years ago, we decided to start a family tradition that would hopefully continue on when we had children. And so far it has...every year we donate a shoebox filled with toys, coloring books, toothbrushes, toothpaste, crayons, etc. to Samaritan's Purse/Operation Christmas child - . We have enjoyed doing it and look forward to doing it each year. Before we had children, we would do two shoeboxes - Thomas would fill a box for a boy and I would fill a box for a girl. Now that we have Anna Grace, we typically let her select which we will do and she usually chooses a girl that is her age (5-7 years old).

It always blesses me to do this special project with Anna Grace. I don't think her mind can fully comprehend what she is doing. I don't think my mind fully comprehends it either. I had a glimpse of what their life is like when I spent a week in Belize last year on a mission trip. The conditions these people live in is so sad. I try to explain to AG that these children have nothing and we are so blessed to be able to give to them. I tell her that these children may live in a house like her playhouse in the backyard, with no shoes, no food, or water. She always wants to give more to them when she hears this. I also tell her that the shoebox we are sending may be the only Christmas present a child may receive.

So this year AG's school took on this mission project too. They asked each child to donate items for a shoebox, money, or send in a shoebox packed with goodies to send to Operation Christmas child. AG was excited about it and so was I! We went to Target and bought the goodies. I always love watching AG pick out the items for the special little girl who will receive our box. AG really wanted to make sure the little girl received a stuffed animal and pajamas.

Anna Grace with the items for the shoebox


Packing the shoe box


AG drew the little girl a picture and sent her a picture of herself and T.


She also wrote the little girl a message.
It says:
Dear___________ From: Anna Grace
My address is: she wrote her address
Have a Happy Christmas. You are special to God.
John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that HE gave his only begotten son that whoever shall believe in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. I am six years old. And I have a babby brother an he is cute. I will always love him.
Florence, SC 29501
Love, Anna Grace Anderson


Shoebox is all packed up! We even got the pj's folded so they fit!
I love the excitement in AG's eyes here.


Box is ready to go!


I am SO thankful that God has blessed us beyond measure and we are able to give to those in need. I am SO thankful that God is working in my heart and my child's heart each and every day. I pray that we will never become numb to those in need and we will always be able to give to others...in many ways.

No comments: