Saturday, May 10, 2008

Dresses and Cooking Babies



I love having conversations with Anna Grace. It helps me understand what is going on in that little head of hers...and helps me better understand where she is coming from. We have had some funny conversations recently that I wanted to share.

Anna Grace is going through a phase where she LOVES to wear dresses. She wouldn't wear anything but dresses - if it were up to her. There have been a few times that I have had to make a deal with her to wear pants. For example, at her party, I convinced her to wear pants to jump around and then she could change into a dress for cake and presents. And she didn't let me forget my promise. When we entered the party room for cake and ice cream the first thing she said to me was, "Mommy, can I put my dress on now?"
Yesterday I told her if she wore pants to school, she could change into a dress when she got home. What was the first thing she did when she walked in the door? She went upstairs and put on a dress, of course. She wears everything from beautiful church dresses to hand-me-down dresses that I have pushed to the back of her closet (and she somehow seems to find). It doesn't matter what it looks like - as long as it is pink (or has pink in it) and is a dress.
So the other day we were talking and she asked me, "Mommy why don't you wear pretty dresses like me?" I told her that I prefer to wear shorts and pants. She responded, "So when I get to be big like you I will have to wear pants and shorts?"
It is always funny to hear what she "reasons" in her little head. I replied, "No, mommy probably should wear more skirts and dresses." She asked me if I had any dresses. I told her I did and we went to my closet to look and see what I had. She picked out a dress she wanted me to wear. It was a cute pink and green dress that I wore on my honeymoon. I should have known she would pick the most colorful dress in my closet! I may just have to wear it this summer. I think it would THRILL her to see me in a dress!

Anna Grace also likes to wear gowns to bed. I prefer wearing an old t-shirt and sweat pants to bed - comfort is key. The other day AG asked, "Mommy, do you have any pretty pajamas like me?" I told her I didn't. I prefer to wear comfortable old t-shirts and pants. She replied, "Nana (my mom) wears pretty night gowns to bed."



And lastly, Anna Grace loves to help me cook. I made 2 lasganas, 3 pies, some muffins and pancakes last week. AG helped me with all of it. We were taking one of the lasagnas to a friend who was sick. AG and I were in the car driving out of our neighborhood when she asked me, "Why did you ask God to give you a cooking baby?" I replied, "Are you a cooking baby?" She said, "Yes. Why did you ask God to give you a cooking baby?" I told her that God must have known I needed some help in the kitchen, so He sent me a cooking baby!

No comments: