Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cubby Bear

Anna Grace is involved in the AWANA program at our church. She is a cubbie. Cubbies are 3 and 4 year olds. Every Sunday they meet at our church from 4:15-6:30pm. They memorize a verse every week, have craft time, music time, story time with Cubby bear, snack time, playground time and game time. As they learn their verses, they earn patches that they wear on their Cubbie vest. Another incentive the program has is taking Cubby bear home for a week. Each Sunday night a child in cubbies is chosen (based on verse memorization and good behavior) to take Cubby home for the week - take care of him, brush his teeth, read to him, feed him, etc. and journal about their time together. AG got Cubby bear last year when she was in the 3 year old Cubbie class, but she must have forgotten about it b/c all she talks about this year is when will I bring Cubby home? She lets us know each week who was chosen to bring him home. We keep reminding her that she will have a turn, and she just needs to keep trying (memorize her verses and be on her best behavior) and she will be chosen too.

This past Sunday night we were driving to Cubbies and AG exclaimed, "I think I am bringing Cubby home tonight!" We told her that there was a good chance she could bring him home, but if she didn't, it was ok. We would keep trying.

Well, I went to pick her up and guess what?!? AG turned around with a BIG Smile on her face and a ton of stuff in her hands exclaiming, "Mommy! I got Cubby Bear!!" I was so proud of her again! Just like last year. I love exciting moments in my child's life!! They are so wonderful and make me so PROUD!! It is such a wonderful feeling!

So, Cubby Bear has been spending the week with us this week. It has been great so far. AG takes him EVERYWHERE! She loves him so much. On Sunday night I was rocking AG (and Cubby) to sleep and she said, "I wish Cubby could live with us forever." It was so sweet. I told her Cubby couldn't live with us forever, but he gets to go trick or treating with us on Friday night. She was very excited about that. We are going to find Cubby a cute costume to wear. AG has taken Cubby out to eat, brushed his teeth every night, changed his clothes, buckled him in his seat belt in the car, and she even wrote in the journal herself! It has been fun watching her care for Cubby!

Anna Grace has Cubby all ready for bed.


Anna Grace changes Cubby's diaper


I snuck in and took this picture while AG was sleeping. Cubby and his best bud, Spud, are sleeping with AG.

5 comments:

Our4GreatKids said...

Ahhh... Cubby bear... we were formally introduced when Hunter brought him home. Glad to see he is in good hands! Can't wait to hear about his Halloween costume!

Kris said...

Sounds like Cubby bear is having a great week! Love the picture of AG sleeping with Cubby bear! So sweet!

Durst Family said...

Wow, Cubby bear is getting the best care!! He must feel like he is on vacation!

Anonymous said...

I sure enjoyed my time with Cubby. And AG was such a dear to dress him for the cold weather (sweater). I love the pic of them sleeping.

Sallie Manning said...

PRECIOUS!!! Anna Grace is such a sweetie!